« Home | madness as normal » | The purse was never found. The gas fire situation ... » | Purse strings of memory » | Cold Sunny Sunday » | Forgiveness? » | Circle of The Gas Fire » | Weekends are difficult to separate the home from t... » | The Master » | chapter 1, it cannot be taught » | The Tao of Dementia »

when the wind blows

I planted some plants today in the wind and rain. They'll flower next when the weather is sunny and warm. I put in some bulbs that will sit underground and grow through the winter, slowly; they'll poke thier heads out as the days begin to lengthen and then they'll flower on some sunny day in april when we with our short-term memories will have already forgotten about the cold wet dark days of november, when the sky was leaden with cloud and it felt like twilight at 3 in the afternoon.

I got soaked and the wind was blowing right at me. My hands were covered in wet soil and I'd wash them off only to cover them again the next time I picked up my spade. I was there but I was already home, having a bath. I was already cooking supper, I was already going out to see a friend when I should have been catching up on the paperwork I didn't do before. I wasn't really there at all.

Every morning when Granny gets up she asks me what day it is, not with a question but with a guess - 'it's ___day today isn't it darling?'. Today it was saturday, tomorrow may be tuesday or sunday, perhaps friday, maybe even saturday again. She has a one in seven chance of getting it right, it happens, but not often.

We join spokes together in a wheel,
but it is the centre hole that makes the wagon move.
We shape clay into a pot,
but it is the emptiness inside
that holds whatever we want.
We hammer wood for a house,
but it is the inner space that makes it livable.
We work with being,
but non-being is what we use.